Friday, August 26, 2011

Commission: Slinky Dog from Toy Story

As I mentioned before, my friend Marcie bought me a 3 month premium membership to Deviant Art and I intended to pay her back. I asked what she would like me to make her, and she listed 3 characters from Toy Story: Slinky Dog, Three Peas in a Pod, and the Dinosaur. I chose the hardest of the three, in my opinion: Slinky Dog.

Why? Because I love challenges, which this commission certainly gave me, but in the end, it all worked out!

I started by making the various parts of Slinky Dog:
...And I started to piece him all together.

Now what Disney/Pixar doesn't tell a person is that the weight distribution of their characters might not be all that accurate (probably because nobody really cares, unless they're OCD or making a model replica like I was)... thus why the front of Slinky Dog looks so... blah. He kept falling over when I put him all together, so I had to fiddle around with the legs, which created lame stumpy legs in the front.

After that, I baked the little guy for about an hour. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of me baking him... I was too scared of what might happen in the oven. =(

After his sauna sans steam treatment, I painted on his eyes and eyebrows and gave Slinky Dog a little glaze. Here's the finished product:
 
 
The total time it took was about 4 hours. I don't think that's so bad considering all the rocky bits I had. =D

And now Slinky Dog is en route to my friend. I padded the hell out of his package... x.x
What would you like to see next? 
I do custom models for commission. Interested? Contact me: krista.lynn.macpherson@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment